I've ordered myself a S&W 629 5" and a Diamond D Chest Holster. After a situation with a moose I had while x-country skiing in winter, and another experience a friend had with a moose while doing some winter scouting, I've decided it was time to get at least something to have with me when I don't have a long gun (which is usually just when I'm hunting.)
Found some good loadings by Underwood. 255 grain Keith styles at 1350fps and some 305 grain flat nosed hard cast at 1325 fps. Obviously the latter load is the winner when it comes to performance, but I also know that the 629 in this barrel length doesn't compare in size to something such as a Super Redhawk. Are such loads suited to S&Ws? Would the additional recoil of the heavier load be reasonable in this size gun, or might it be argued the more manageable 255 is worth the less power for the same of quicker follow up shots? Whatever I get, I'll have to practice with it.
I have to confess a general lack of experience and knowledge with big bore handguns. But I'm not a noob when it comes to firearms and, being able to competently beat the crap out of myself with various magnum rifles and 45/70 bear loads, have never found myself to be recoil adverse, which is a different fish but I think I'll be fine.