The majority of the pieces turned out to be synthetic microfibers that are used in clothing

Anyone wear that polyester clothing? Nylon? Those recycled "fleece" products made from plastic bottles, thinking that you're doing a good thing?

Then you wash them when they get dirty, right? Maybe dry them in the dryer? Ever look at your lint trap? Ever look where your drier vent empties out? There some dust bunnies around there?

Ever wonder how much "lint" is going down the drain with the wash water when the tub empties? Are you on city sewer? Where does their effluent end up? Their dried solids?

The big pieces of plastic are a concern for sure, those mylar balloons and water bottles and WalMart shopping bags like this one found 30+ miles from the nearest paved road and a couple of miles maybe from the two track I drove in on

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There was even the remnants of a blue tarp out there:

And here's some miscellaneous stuff found while walking around in the "woods", not a wilderness area like in the article, but nowhere near residences etc:

Them plastics sure serve our needs well, maybe too well? And their remains will be around long after we're gone.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?