The past several years my family and I have killed a fair pile of antelope, whitetails, coyotes and mulies with the 105 Berger HVLD out of a 6mm-06 (3300 FPS MV). Ranges have been from 50 to 500+ yards. I have no experience with the larger calibers more suitable for larger game. The bergers have a great BC, are accurate in my rifle and kill stuff plenty dead but they do have their drawbacks.

-On antelope and smaller bodied whitetails kills have been dramatic but meat loss on anything shot where bone was contacted has been higher than I like to see.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

-On mule deer/larger whitetail sized game chest hits have not produced an exit and internal trauma was impressive. Nothing went far but if you desire two holes and a blood trail probably not a great choice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am actually in the process of working up a load with the Barnes LRX to see if I can get the accuracy I need with a bullet that won't damage quite as much meat should bone get hit and probably make two holes. If not, I will continue to use the Berger but pick my shots based on its capabilities/limitations.

The folks I know that shoot them for elk pretty well stick to heavy for caliber weights and do well. All the elk I have personally killed or seen killed were with Barnes TTSX, accubonds or plain jane horndays so can't speak personally on larger game.