Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I probably won't make friends for this, but i find the 257 Roberts to be an adequate northern whitetail round. As a kid I was given the Outdoor Life Cylcopedia. I was young enough that I wrote my name in it in crayon. I believed the write up on the 257, that was definitely typewriter hunting, not real world. I bought my first one in 1972. I still have it and have killed a pickup load of deer with it. Ive owned and hunted several others. But it is not the same class as a 270 or the 308/06 or the over 30 crowd. If all things are perfect, it's bang flop. But things are not always perfect. There is rain and snow on the scope, twigs andleaves that you dont see, deer that arenot standing the way you think they are, bullets that dont work as advertised, and on and on. Little holes make poor blood trails on rain soaked oak leaves and laurel thickets. It will do the job, but in my experience not premier. I've killed a pile of groundhogs with it, some 300 plus yards. Great versatile cartridge, but I prefer a bit more.
Bfly

Ah! Another fan of the Outdoor Life 'Cyclopedia!

I got mine at the used bookstore just after college. My friends were nagging me to go deer hunting, and I was looking for something to read up on the subject. Mine is from 1942.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer