Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The inlet where my brother lives in Panama City is treacherous. The one at Port Everglades where I live is, too.

They can hurt you quick.

Whats the name of that bad sucker up in Wa where the river hits the Pacific. Haulover aint squat.

The Bar on the Columbia is said to be one of the worst. Never been over that one personally, know a lot who have.

The Columbia bar is a step above the Humboldt Bay Bar, probably the second nastiest around in many conditions. I've been across it more than a couple of times. It's interesting when a captain with unlimited papers, taking ships around the world and such, gets outside and says he's a bit butt puckered coming out of a little harbor. Coming back in can get even sketchier.

Another experienced skipper got us outside, turned the 85' vessel around, and said it's going to get worse and we've got students on board, don't want to risk it. I was having a fun time and was bummed our cruise was cancelled. Fisheries schools in Kansas (and Iowa) don't have many of those kind of opportunities. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?