Originally Posted by Huntz
The cross bolt safety made lever actions safe to unload.Any one who can`t deal with pushing a button probably should not be shooting.

Well I was watching "NorthWoods Law", game warden show, and this Warden got a permit to shoot a Moose. On the show he was walking and this huge bull Moose was just standing there 75 yards away. The Warden had shown off his Marlin 1895 45/70 he was using. Well he cocked the gun, aimed, and one big 'click' was heard. Repeated the process and same 'click'. He levered in a new round and, again, 'click'. Then he notice that push button safety was ON.

Moose got tired of standing there and walked off. Now if that Moose had CHARGED him...

Hence my 1895 SBL has no safety (but I am looking for one to retro fit just in case..)

I grew up on Marlin Texan 30/30 (killed my first five deer with that gun many many years ago) and currently have a Texan, two Rossi .44s, and my SBL. None have safeties.

And if was going to go back to Alaska, I most surely would NOT have a safety on my lever gun!

Deaf