Gies, my elk hunting days were over before I got my first double but, if I were to go again there is a pre-WWI, Vierordt double in the toy box that has been re-chambered to 8 X 75R Brenneke that would be my first choice. At 7 1/2 lbs. it's a far cry from 10-13 lbs. and it wasn't nearly as expensive as a guided elk hunt would be. When we lived in Wyoming and I was hunting elk I carried my Shiloh Sharps Montana Roughrider in 45-90, without a sling, and it does weigh 10 1/2 lbs. Using the Vierordt would be a pleasure.

Big bore, dangerous game doubles need that much weight but even a good vierling, (as if there was any other kind), in a cartridge adequate for elk won't weight much more than 8lbs., scoped. If one chooses to scope a double and has the right load, those who demean the accuracy of a good double at 200-300 yards don't know what they're talking about. They won't shoot with a finely tuned bolt rifle but they're MORE than accurate mor "minute of elk. And, everyone's tastes are differnt.

Last edited by sharps4590; 08/29/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing