Perfect for you is different than perfect for everyone. Caliber, cartridge, etc. mean very little in my experience. The perfect rifle is the one you shoot well, are comfortable with taking hunting shots, and are willing to hunt with. If it's to heavy and/or you're in lousy shape you won't be as apt to go where you should, cut your approach short, or cut angles on your stock to avoid having to go as far. If you aren't sure it'll get the job done you won't be ready to take the shot presented. If you are worried about scratching it up you won't crawl through the brush with it to get the shot you should. You see where I'm going with this.

I personally would grab my .25-06 anytime for deer of any kind or size and have confidence in it. My favorite load for it is the now discontinued 120gr Hornady HP. It shoot's it very well, and that bullet was designed for the .257 Wby and it shows. I stocked up a few boxes when I found out they were dropping them, but have found there are others that will be fine when I run out.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson