For a couple weeks now I have been using my limited computer skills searching for a documented case of a HUNTING type bullet causing a wildfire. There is a lot of statements, news articles, and some very sketchy "studies" funded by the USFS. But I'm not seeing what I thought I would be seeing. The best funded "study" shows some 100,000 frame photos of impacts, and some actual ignition of peat from testing. "A study of ignition by rifle bullets", MA Finney used some pretty wild parameters to draw their conclusions. Like impacting an AR 500 plate at about a 30 degree angle with steel core ammo. Not my idea of a hunting bullet. They claim ignition with solid copper bullets, but I can't find the methodology they used. They claim one ignition from cup and core bullet...but again, no details.
So, my question is, just here on the 24 hr Cluster Camp and Comment, not the experience of your cousin Daryl....has anybody had an experience actually starting a fire or getting a smolder with hunting bullets? There has to be 10,000 years of combined experience here.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.