Pardon for the late arrival at this party. Hope I haven’t missed the ‘danciing girls’! “) As I read this Thread, some bit of deja vous! Without going into immersed in war stories, just the net, net with a bit of Winchester background.
These ‘91 “Custom Shop Supergrade models, notable under then new, Fabrique National ownership of the Winchester factory and brand-license. The ‘big news’, return of CRF though some inference as only available in rarefied air of Custom Shop’ designation & pricing!

As for this genre of rifles, situation of serious question arising: “What’s in a name?” (Shakespeare) and such on-point. I first saw several of these Custom ‘91 models at a gun show, perhaps mid nineties. Yet new in boxes; accoutrements, Certificates and all. Priced between $1600 to $2K each! By then I’ recently acquired a “Classic Supergrade Custom” in 338 Win. Purchased new as dealer sadly going belly-up!

My only firm recollection now of that gun show viewing, mine considerably more handsome. Them, with burled walnut stocks. Handsome in their own right, but appearing dark & heavy. The other thing, they lacked the black foreend cap and somehow such absence just a ‘tilt’ in context of Model 70 Supergrade.

To better refresh my recollection, a quick Google and some good photos of one of those ‘91 genre SG rifles and its Certificate. Recollection confirmed. About ‘on’ re stock appearance bit heavy and dark. Also, plainly lacking another feature I appreciate in mine. The quality “shadowed” cheekpiece!

The ‘net’ to me, these are quite nice rifles… For what they are. IF they continued as a ‘last hurrah’ for the CRF Winchester, perhaps worth multiples of their prevailing value. But not the situation. Rather, the opposite!! Now – over quarter century of Supergrade CRF Model 70 rifles as continued to date! The “Certificated” genre, principally as ‘also ran’. A narrow range of collectors, perhaps to lus in some sort of “transition” categoryt. Most folks, as me, ‘prettier pickins!’ Oh yes! Interesting in the below listing; that Certificate shown… Presumably incorrect! Listing a plain bolt handle where the serial number associated rifle, clearly a knurled handle! Introducing some “ambiguity” as to authenticity? What’s the whole purpose of the fancy certificate if to incorporate ‘error’!

Just my long-winded and completely frank “take”.

Best & Stay Safe!
John

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hop-super-grade-nib.cfm?gun_id=101309694

>>> Click on empty photo frames to open them WITH photos! <<<

Attached Images
R63-2U.jpg (27.91 KB, 359 downloads)
R63-8U.jpg (22.22 KB, 375 downloads)
R63-9.jpg (18.77 KB, 364 downloads)
R63-14U.jpg (25.83 KB, 351 downloads)
R63-4U.jpg (26.13 KB, 332 downloads)