Originally Posted by humdinger
there is a difference between police and home owners.

Police are accountable for everyone stray shot, but they have a city insurance policy to hide behind plus they are allowed to shoot people.

Homeowners are accountable too and they are not covered to shoot people. You will pay $$$ once you pull the trigger.

I hope this is a statement out of ignorance as that can be fixed.

For your edification, the police are NOT "allowed to shoot people." if that were true there would be a lot more shootings by the police. The police are subject to the same rules as the general public in the use of deadly force though the police are allowed to use deadly force in narrow circumstances to protect the public at large rather than individuals. Officers are also directed by policy as to when deadly force can be used and that can be more restrictive than for non-officers.

That insurance policy you mention is a shield for the employer, not the officer. The city "hides" behind this policy for a number of reasons no different than a homeowner with their own liability insurance policies. Homeowners may be covered by their insurance liability policies no different than an officer.

If an officer involved shooting has been ruled justified and within policy, then the officer should not be subject to lawsuits, just like a homeowner. That is a "benefit" extended to employees across most occupations. If the officer is determined to be at fault, then they can be financially liable as an individual. This can occur even if the shooting is legal if policy is violated. That is something a homeowner does not have to contend with.

Originally Posted by humdinger
I still believe smaller shot to avoid over penetration is wise, but maybe somewhere between #4 to #2 shot. My opinion is based on watching ducks & turkeys being shot.

I base my recommendations on a few personal experiences as well as more information in the form of studies, autopsies, and investigations from various experts than a person can sift through in a lifetime. I prioritize my needs based on importance to choose the tool that most effectively does the job. The vast majority of collateral damage is caused by missed shots, not pass throughs. The fewer rounds fired with the fewest projectiles sent out, the less chances of others being hurt.

Another thought on the subject - anyone actually test how far these bullets travel after exiting the test medium? Just because the projectile exits does not mean it carries very far. Until this can be definitively determined, the danger of projectiles exiting a structure and injuring others is often based on imagination and conjecture.