Resurrecting an old thread but I found a marlin 375 in decent shape at a local shop the other day. I hesitated but I'm going back in Tuesday and if its still there I'm going to pick it up.

The only problem I'm seeing is lack of bullet options. I know sierra makes a decent 200 and Barnes makes a 255 but I wish hornady still made the 220.

I used the 235 speer in a 375 h&h at 2900 fps mv to take a 225# warthog and an impala in South Africa in 93. The bullet was devastating at those speeds.

This 375 win dilemma got me thinking about the 235 speer and I found this thread. Did anyone ever test expansion at lower velocities? I was thinking about getting a hobby lathe and turning the tips off of 235s to make them flat noses. Could maybe even drill a bit of a hollow point if needed for expansion. I'd rather shorten the bullet than the cases because it then makes them more tube mag safe.

Crazy ideas? I just want a 375 to go with my 444 outfitter and 45-70 guide gun. I have a jm 30-30 and would like a 35 rem someday too.

Bb