Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Make an offer on it Richard. Around here, we don't see much being enrolled anymore in CRP unless it is the very marginal land. I have 16 acres on one farm that comes out this year. I only put it in for the wildlife anyway, just to have a place for the turkeys to nest, but the dumb things had rather use hay and wheat fields. They offered to re-enroll it at $50 an acre less than I was getting, so it wasn't an option.

How's the CRP work, are you paid each year? Per acre ? can either you the land owner or gooberman get out at any time ? And does it transfer if ownership changes? And how much does it pay ?

The rate you are paid per acre varies greatly, according to the state, county, soil type, and the type of land, as well as some other factors. USDA then determines the rate they pay an acre. I put some in 10 years ago for $125 an acre, and had I waited a year of so, it went up quite a bit more. That 10 year contract expires in 3 weeks, and they offered to re-enroll it for about $50 an acre LESS. Meanwhile, land in an adjoining county is going in for over $200 an acre, and more in some instances. While I believe there are instances in which CRP is a good thing, and it is great for the wildlife, I'll never put anymore land into the program.