I have taken a fair amount of elk with C&C bullets & partition's. Years back I used a 338 mag ( which I still have ) & Hornady 250gr C&C bullets. Every elk I shot with it, I recovered. . Have also used 30 cal's with C&C heavy for cal bullets with complete success . Some penetrated well ,some did not. Those that did not penetrate well I still recovered but the elk went a ways. Some times a long ways. So C&C bullets especially heavy for cal absolutely work when placed properly. Since I primarily hunt for the meat & not horns it bothers me when large partitions of precious meat are blood shot & destroyed. You don't always get a rib cage shot. Many times your shot is at sever angles from front or back. Some times uphill or down hill , & again at sever angles. Maybe your shot is thru a opening in the vegetation, trees or brush where only a shoulder is available to shoot at. When presented with these difficult options you either shoot or let the elk go. If you shoot under these circumstances with a heavy for cal C&C bullet you can be assured of substantial meat loss. With the copper mono's meat loss from blood shot damage is minimal. This has been my experience base on
60 + years of hunting . The deepest penetrating bullets are solids. The expanding mono is a solid with an expanding nose. They retain maximum weight ,some nearly 99% which in turn retains maximum momentum for max. penetration. The copper mono is my preferred bullet for elk & will continue to be so unless some thing better arrives.
In 1948 the partition came out & was " the " bullet for penetration. Bullets have evolved over the years, & now the mono's. Your choice.