Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You didn't even track 200 yards before giving up? I understand hindsight and all that, and I don't hunt where there are lots of fencelines, but I wouldn't have given up after less than 200 yds. You knew the deer was shot, you knew that there was a blood trail. You just gave up for some unknown reason. Kind of sad, if you ask me. That 16 year old kid likely isn't too excited about it either.

I didn’t give up, just waited till morning. Not for an unknown reason either. I assumed I was, and turned out to be correct in assuming, tracking a gut shot deer. I didn’t want to bump him and lose it for good. We were already on neighbors property (with permission) and blood trail was getting hard to follow. I was afraid there wasn’t enough blood to follow in the brush. Last night I was kicking myself for possibly already pushing the buck farther onto neighbor than I should have. Obviously I’m kicking myself for the opposite now. My nephew was more than excited to find his deer. The plan is for my brother or I to shoot a cape donor so he can get a shoulder mount.