Saw the darnedest thing yesterday. I went with my son to help him hang a stand on a part of the farm that we rarely ever hunt on. There is an underground stream that flows through a series of sinkholes, where it eventually comes out of the ground in the mouth of a small cave. These sinkholes average about 6 foot deep, and the water level is around a foot deep. Beavers have took up residence in them, and cut down a bunch of trees, robbed a nearby cornfield and brought corn back to the holes. They have to be living underground, as there is no other place for them.

I've never seen, or heard of beavers doing this, as all I've ever seen were living in a stream, where they could build dams. There's no way they can dam the water in a sinkhole up. Maybe they're too dumb to realize it, and just keep trying. They've evidently been there a while, as some of the trees have been cut down for a long time. It's probably a mile to the nearest stream that would be considered good beaver habitat.

I'm not going to bother them, as I don't guess they're bothering anything, and eventually will figure out that this ain't gonna work in the normal way that beavers usually live. Has anyone else on here ever seen them do something similar?

Last edited by JamesJr; 09/13/20.