I want them all, Winchesters, Marlins, etc. My name is Steve, I'm a gunaholic!!!

I got a Mod 94 Win. in .44 mag. and .356 Win. and a Mirkou Mod. 71 in .348 Ackley Improved and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I only hunt Alaska and feel bigger bullets are better for the most part and rarely shoot past 200 yards. That .444 Marlin with 300 grain bullets looks like a good one to me. Bad as I want one at 70 I don't see myself using all the guns I have. I have long felt an old style lever gun in .35 caliber tossing 225 to 250 grain bullets at 35 Whelen velocities would be a the best for hunting North America. Which is why I added a .348 Ackley Improved to my meager arsenal.

Truth be told all of my lever guns except for the .44 mag. will kill Alaska's game at 200 yards all day long, but a .348 Ackley and 45-70 just kills them deader. So would the 444 Marlin with the right load. If ya want a big thumper then grab one, my 45-70 is a comfort to me when messing around in the woods up here. If I was only hunting state side I would pass on a 45-70 and grab a .444 Marlin.

Winchester has it's own charisma and the Mod. 94's are sleek light weight easy packing power houses, but when it comes to ease of maintenance the Marlin wins hands down. Our biggest obstacle is the bullet makers cater to the long range guys. None of them are staying late at the shop in an effort to make us better flat nosed bullets bullets and our chosen calibers are only as good as their available bullets.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 09/21/20.