The mini 14 thread reminded me of this situation ,
You think it has been patented yet ?
Believe it or not , saw a 98 welded up once . 22-250 , bull barrel from he'll, barrel welded to the reciever , bffscope bases welded to the receiver. We were zeroing for deer season and this guy shows up with this thing .
I said , who the he'll built that ?
Was the biggest barrel in girth and length I have ever seen . Fellow couldn't get two bullets to hit close together to save his azz .
I was concerned about the strength of the receiver being compromised from the heat of the massive welds .
Said something about it but seemed there was more booze than sense in the group , so I left .
Next day the guy who owned the property showed up and tells me the fellow with the 98 had asked him to shoot his 110 in 223 and he told him to go ahead .
Didn't watch him and he heard the guy say the bullet didn't hit the target and the bolt wouldn't open .
The land owner ,G , got pissed and ran him off . So G ask me what I thought , bolt wouldn't budge so I told him to take it to a local Smith.
When he got a call I rode with him to pick it up .
A 110 must be a strong action, Smith said a 30 carbine had been fired in it and some how the bullet swaged down or fragmented and went out the barrel .
He handed G a baggie with a fragmented carbine case in it and I said , that gun is ruined ,
Smith smiled and said he thought the same .
But bore scoped the barrel while he had it off , receiver and bolt checked out , reassembled and test fired it a couple times , functioned fine .
I thought that was Fugging amazing, guess G probably still has it. Somewheres I still have the fragmented case , thought it would make a good conversation piece.
Kenneth