Hi everyone,

A few months ago I asked for load advise for a upcoming cape buffalo hunt. (Postponed due to Covid)

Here is the link to that thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...x62-load-needed-for-namibia#Post14854958

Please check this tread out to understand why 2505fps is needed with a 286gr bullet.

IAnyway, I was finally able to get my hands on RL-17. My initial idea was to load 320gr Woodleigh softs but after some research and advise from my PH I decided to load a bullet of stronger construction like Barnes TSX/Peregrine VRG3 or similar monolithic.

I first had a look at the Barnes TSX, but because they are so long I was sceptical because the bullet would take up so much space in the case, space that is needed if I was going to reach 2505fps. My second choice was Peregrine VRG3 bullets, a local monolithic bullet made here in South Africa. Unfortunately they would not cycle in my CZ550. The third bullet I tried was the 286gr woodleigh hydros, still a long bullet but not as long as the TSX, or so I thought... hydros with the cap on are basically the same lenght of the TSX. My rifle would not cycle them without the cap on.

Nevertheless I started to do load development with the Hydros. Surprisingly I was able to reach 2515fps without any pressure signs. Obviously I was very pleased and reported my results to my PH. He was also very surprised to hear that 2500fps+ is doable with a 9.3x62. He however suggested that I only use the Hydros for follow up shots and suggested a good expanding bullet for the first shot.

Because the Hydros with the cap on are the same lenght as the TSX I I thought I might try loading some up. Theoretically should also be able to reach 2500fps+- as they are both 286gr, same lenght, and both have a driving band type design. Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone have decent load data for 286gr TSX's with RL-17?

Regards,

Oelof

Attached Images