Originally Posted by wyomike
Just curious if anyone uses much 4320 powder. I have a couple of cans that were stashed in the back of my reloading cabinet. I used to use it many years ago, so I thought I'd try it in something I never shot it in before. I tried it in my 7mm/08 with 120 Hornady's. I couldn't find any loading data in any of my reloading manuals, but I had a IMR Basic Reloading Manual that I had picked up at the LGS, and it had a load listed for it. I used 43 grains of 4320 and 120 Hornady gave me 2969 fps thru my 22'' Tikka Hunter. 3shot groups @100 yards were under 3/4''. I went as high as 45 grains of 4320, velocity was 3050 and groups didn't change much in size. Seems like anything I shoot in my Tikkas always impresses me. I also have one in 6.5 Creedmoor. They both shoot great with nothing done EXCEPT replace the trigger spring.
I shot 2 groups @ 200 yards and groups were very impressive, best one was 1.008. Scope was Leupold VX2 4-12 set @ 12 power.
When I first started reloading back in the early 60's (I'm a dinosaur) 4320 was a very popular powder. I used it in my 30/06 which was the only rifle I had back then. Any body using it?

ALL of the older IMR powders worked great then, and still work great now... that's why they are still on the shelves and still sell well with little fanfare...everyone seems to go for the new latest greatest...

me, along with the old age mold, I tend to use stuff that has been reliably working for decades, instead of trying to re invent the wheel for something a hair better....

but then a Tikka... if you could ignite sand.. I bet a Tikka would even turn in tight groups with that...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez