Originally Posted by kevinJ
Just bought a stihl 261. They gave me a case for free, and when the guy went to put everything in the case he put a shop rag in the bottom. Having read this thread I about died laughing. I knew exactly why.

Always ran husqvarna saws. Was looking at them but spoke to 4 people who run saws for a living, and all have had major issues with blown top ends out of the 2018 and newer 555 and 562( I believe that the Right model number) They recommended the 261 As bullet proof.

I went with the Stihl MS 250 with 18" chain bar, for the reasons mentioned. It should handle any need I have here.

Nearby Ace Hardware is a dealer, and has all the extras. They include Stihl premixed fuel in convenient sizes, so no need to mix it myself or chase down a source for high test fuel lacking in ethanol. (I do recall some neighbors saying that there is one gas station in adjoining Tijeras, NM that stocks that, but I now don't need to find it.)

The clerk who set it up for me said the chain oil leak is a feature, NOT a flaw, to assure full lubrication, and everyone simply puts a shop cloth under them. Oh, well.

I do like the chain brake feature, which I never had before in the old days. You simply push it with the back of the hand holding the upper bar, keeping both hands on the saw at all times.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).