Barry, I remember a movie production I was in out there at the ranch. In the Lonesome Dove village set. I was setting on a bldg porch just up the street from July Johnson’s sheriffs office waiting for the director to call me for my scene. Was auppose to be some half-breed scout. Had on a ticking trade shirt, trade wool leggins, wool breechcloth, and my long hair. Hunting pouch, horn, Leman trade rifle, looking oh so fine. In other words I looked like a regular there at the ranch.

Enter this "vieille femme” of about 75 years to the set. Just walking around!!! About 1/2 hour later the director walks up to me just laughing his azz off. Says that old crone chewed him out for allowing vagabonds to just lay around when the place has visitors and movie people coming thru!!! LOL! He congratulated me for oh so looking the part.

If the old gal would have walked another 100’ down to the old hotel/ bar/roady office she would have been able to see some real vagabonds in their environment. You could cut the ganja smoke with a knife in there. Durns out she was some cousin that had her own trailer house on the place. We laughed the rest of the day about that!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS