For years I carried a 3" Mod 60 in the woods. It was my do-everything handgun, recreational plinking with family and friends, home defense, the works.

Then one day in the woods I ran into a big feral boar hog, one of the really big ones, it stood around for about a looong two or three minutes twenty yards away contemplating it's next move while I waved my arms and yelled. It just huffed and snorted, then finally pivoted and ran off a short distance into a thicket, still snorting and huffing, PO'd. I had to walk right by it to get to a sample point.

During that interval I was contemplating how many hits (w/ heavy .357 Winchester 180gr solids) I could get with the Mod 60 if the hog had rushed me from 20 yards out.

Since then I have carried a Glock in the woods, currently a Glock 19, 15 rounds of 147gr Buffalo Bore solids on hand.

Lots of places in and around the city where nobody shoots hogs, so they don't have a whole lot of fear around humans. I had a boar walking up on me this past summer, I shouted out and it just stopped and looked. A shot into the ground from the Glock sent it packing, and represented only 7% of the capacity of the gun.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744