Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I usually roughly follow the OCW process, tried other methods (Satterlee, etc) but nothing else I've tried has been as reliable as OCW.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ocw-instructions/4529817134

I agree with you Gtscotty; I have found OCW, in conjunction with a chrono, to be the easiest and quickest method for finding a good load.
It can be shot at 100 yards and give readable data. To get good data with a true ladder test I would shoot at 300 yards or beyond.
This target shows my results with 77gr, SMKs and H4895 powder at 100 yards. It was shot round-robin, so the groups were more equally affected by barrel warming. I shot at a pace of about one round per minute and took barrel cooling breaks after every 10 rounds.
It's easy to see the movement of the groups to nodes at groups 4 and 9. You can see there is a velocity plateau between groups 3 - 5 with jumps of 30 fps on either side of those groups. Group 4 is my pick, and I will probably check that load with a few different primers and maybe backing off the bullet seating a bit to see if there is any more improvement to be had.
OCW works!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by NVhntr; 09/29/20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB