Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd love to spend the good holiday in Canada some year.

No pilgrims I'll guess?

Who were Canada's 'Pilgrims"?

wabigoon;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope that this Canadian Thanksgiving finds you and your fine family well.

While I'm far from an expert on such matters, I'll take a stab at an answer but again the gentle readers will have to understand a lot of this is somewhat subjective.

The original American Pilgrims left England and went to Holland for nearly 20 years first, in large part for religious freedom. They then decided to leave Holland both to retain their English heritage and values but as well to avoid being caught up in a possible war between Holland and Spain.

Thus if we set the criteria for "pilgrims" as a group wanting to maintain both their religious and cultural identity, I'd opine it was the Mennonites who came to the Niagara River area from Pennsylvania in the late 1770's.

No doubt the American Revolution had something to do with it as well, since as a group at that time and still today the Mennonite faith promotes pacifism.

Please note I have Mennonites in my immediate family and believe that I understand and absolutely do respect those who believe in pacifism, I just do not happen to embrace that belief myself for a multitude of what I feel are valid reasons.

All that then said sir, I'd nominate them for those reasons, but there certainly were groups that came to Canada previous to that for other reasons and I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the subject for sure as I find it interesting.

Lastly, although I believe you know this about me wabigoon, both of my grandfathers came to Canada from Europe as refugees so I've got a fairly large helping of empathy for folks in the same boat today.

All the best to you all again and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"