The “ammo at the store” argument is the silliest and most elementary argument in the history of ever, even though it’s valid. If I need ammo because somehow it got separated from my gun, it’s just as easy to borrow somebody’s gun that I’m around or use the spare gun that’s in my truck for what I need. If I’m on a far away hunt and my gun shows up but my ammo didn’t, I’m still using the guides gun with confidence. Not to mention if it’s Africa the gun that is missing ammo is likely to be one of a hundred fairly odd ball cartridges like a .470 Nitro or .458 Lott. Ammo for them is likely to be hard to replace anyway. The one time I went to Africa my ammo got lost. Luckily for me, my rifles did to so it took the pressure off the huge decision on if I could find .458 Lott or .375 H&H ammo. I just used the PH’s Mauser .375 and called it good

I’ve always considered myself the worlds best 30-06 fan. I love them and have killed tons of critters with one. They are timeless and yes, ammo and components are generally easy to find. Definitely easier than 7 WSM. That said you can find 7 WSM stuff if you want to, and it isn’t hard to prove that a 162 gr bullet with a BC of .630 at 3000 FPS “out does” a 168 grain bullet with a BC .490 at 2900 FPS.

If it’s me, the worlds best 30-06 fan is picking the 7 WSM because I’ve come to like short actions and performance. You get both with the WSM line of thought.

Todd