My rule of thumb has always been to find the powder that gives the best (not necessarily the fastest) velocities with a case fill as close to 100% as possible. A little bit of compressed load doesn't bother me, but I've never liked hearing an audible crunch when seating bullets....
For me, H4831 always worked best in the 25-06 and gave good velocities and outstanding accuracy. RL 22 is very close in burn rate to H4831, so it stands to reason it would work well in this cartridge. My favorites were always Nosler 115 and 120 Partitions and now the AB's . Haven't had a 25-06 in a while since I burned out the barrel and had a Hart barrel put on the action opened up to 25-284.

Most of the 25-06 loads I tried in the heavier bullets were a perfect fit to the mag and chamber/leade, but I found the lighter bullets I tried to load for varmint work wouldn't come close to the leade with sufficient bullet in the neck for tension... so I gave up on varminting with it unless I wanted to use the 115/120 bullets for varminting, which work fine BTW.... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.