Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never knew what a heeler was until I met Crossfireoops and his friend Gracie. Once I was aware I have met and interacted with a fair number, and they are all friends of mankind IMO. Good dogs they are and they are all missed when they leave us

I wasn't familiar with heelers either before I moved to Texas. Much to recommend them.

The AKC didn't recognize them as a breed for a long time, so no one was inbreeding them for "confirmation" to trot around a ring next to a fat lady or gay guy at a dog show smile

They were bred for ability, end of story.

Came in different shapes and sizes of a general type, created in the Australian Outback as an admixture of various herding breeds with a shot of dingo added for good measure. Tough feet, and good in hot dry climates.

All of that and they had to be resolute enough to drive wild cattle, even big range bulls, by closing in and driving them with their teeth..

Handy size too, most around 40lbs, big enough to do big dog stuff, small enough to ride easily in a vehicle.

Out West they can be had for not too much money in cattle country "no papers, working parents on site". I bought the best dog I ever owned when she was a puppy for $15 at a Mexican Feed Store in South Texas.

The AKC finally got their nefarious paws on 'em 15-20 years back, officially recognized them as "Australian Cattle Dogs", I dunno that they've ruined the breed much yet like they did to so many others.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744