I've told this story before, had a chance to go to Paris in October of 2000. Our office is in the suburbs. The day I arrive its a French Holiday so everything is closed down and I'm starving, so I ask the hotel where would be a place that is open I can get something to eat.

He gives me vague directions to a pizza place and tells me its walking distance, so I start walking. Some distance away from the hotel, I don't really remember how far, I'm walking down the street and a guy pulls over and says something to me in French, I apologized to him and told him I don't speak French, only English, and he converts over to English. He asks me where I am headed, I tell him some pizza place and he starts shaking his head no very intently. He says "Muslims, don't go there, very dangerous", So he then offers to drive me to the pizza place.

This was before 9/11. He didn't know I was a lost tourist, or at least I don't think he did, He was just like "what is this white idiot doing walking in this neighborhood?"

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings