Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
He is researching stocks right now. Says he wants something more in the traditional vein than "techie/tactical".

I suppose I could have the original stock refinished and use that. I'll see how much weight that would add over a composite.

The original rifle was made in the 1960's with the white spacers and fleur d' lies checkering. I paid $65.00 for it around 1964. In .270 it shot a lot of dear, bear and pig over the years.

IMO you already have the "heirloom" rifle with the one you have. Those stocks with the fluer de lis are a classic in themselves, if you don't think so try to find one. If the barrel is shot out, or does not give the accuracy you want, replace it with a Pac-Nor or other custom turned to the same contour as the factory barrel. A Timney trigger would be a nice addition since they have a more positive safety than the stock Remington trigger.

As you mentioned he took a large bear with it when he was 16, what could be better than giving him the same rifle except looking like new. That would be a true heirloom.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.