Originally Posted by Irving_D
Three weeks ago I had my friend over to my house to help cut up a bunch of slab wood that I have. I don't heat with wood so I give it to him. I have a tractor mounted PTO powered buzz saw which as buzz saws go is a safer style that we have used for years always being as careful as possible because its still a very dangerous piece of equipment. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are accidents can happen. I've been playing the scene in my head a 1000 times and i still am not sure how it happened I think my buddy bumped the table exposing the blade. Anyways long story short I cut off 3 of my five fingers on my right hand. we are trying to save the pinky I will need a tendon replaced in it. Hopefully i will have at least 60 percent usage of it. As soon as it happened I took of running yelled at my friend to call 911, ran to the house to tell my girlfriend to call 911and to have my 14 year old son try to find my fingers. I told my buddy we need to find a tourniquet he grabbed a cinch strap and strapped it tight which probably saved my life. I had a ambulance to my house within 5 minutes fortunately there was a helicopter returning to base so they turned around to come get me I was in the air within 20 minutes of calling 911. The first thing I wanted to do was call my friend and tell him it was a accident it's not his fault, but he was a wreck and still is. I keep telling him not to blame himself which is easier said than done.

So now I am trying to adjust to being left handed, I definitely f'ed up my deer season, and fishing is going to take some getting used to. I love deepsea fishing and this is going to be really difficult. Through the whole ordeal I have been trying to stay as positive as possible which hasn't been the easiest thing to do but its better than the other option. I know many of us own or work with tools that can do the same damage so please be careful

Accidents can happen. I had a friend that was a high power electrician. He did hot taps on transformers all the time. My friend was the most careful person I know. He lost his right hand in an antique tractor accident. His hand got caught in the u-joint between the engine and transmission.