"Growing up we never had a guard or a tractor my dad would Jack up the car and put the belt around a wheel without the tire on it, scared the hell out of me."

We had one of those when I grew up. It ran off a belt on what was even then an old John Deere two cylinder putt putt tractor with a hand clutch.

That thing terrified me. I can't remember if I was even a teenager yet when it became my job to "offbear" as my Dad called it. I had to build up some nerve to get close enough to grab the billets as they were cut off and throw them out of the way. lt seemed like my Dad was working way too fast for the danger involved but he died with all his appendages and I can't remember any injuries or even close calls.

It was always on my mind that someone would trip and fall into the blade.

I can still hear the whine of that blade as it worked through the oak and hickory logs. And the way that two cylinder engine would bog down on the bigger stuff.

I'm sure Mother held her breath until she heard the tractor stop.

Hope you recover and learn to get along. Like my brother-in-law said about prostate surgery: "Life will be different but you'll get used to it" He did and so have I.

Life is bigger than fingers but I'd sure hate to lose them!

Take care