I have owned 7 different 270 Winchesters and also one 270 WSM. I killed deer, atelope and elk with the Short mag and I have killed most American game except buffalo and moose with my various 270 Winchesters, starting in 1968. And I did kill about 12-14 horses and cattle with my 270 when I was a kid on the ranch. I hunt with a man that's been using the 270 Weatherby for about 20 years, so I have seen a lot of game killed with that round too.

Of the 3 you listed I'd still go back to the Original.

as of nowI own a 25-06, a 6.5 Mannlicher, three 270 Winchesters, two 308s, a 303 British, two 300 Savages, three 30-06s a 300 H&H and an 8MM Mauser and then my bore sizes jump up to .366, 375 and 423". But from 25 to 32 calibers of the rifles I still own now, and including many I have owned and sold or traded off, I have to say the 270 Winchester seems to kill all game up to and including bull elk as well and in many cases a bit better then any of them. (Yes I do include the 300 mags, the 7MM Mags and the 338 mag)

Why?

I can't really say,--------- but that's what I have seen over the last 1/2 century. Mathematically it should NOT do as well as the 7MM Mags 300s and the 338s. But it has for me and has for over 50 years. In all my hunting and guiding hunters, if used with good bullets for the job, I have not seen the old 270 ever lack for anything.

The largest game animals I have personally killed with 270s were bull elk and the largest non-game animals I have killed with them were cattle. The largest game I ever saw killed with 270s were 3 moose and one bull bison shot by this man.>>> https://www.wyofile.com/the-life-of-a-trapping-legend/ Jake killed that big bull with one round of Factory Remington 150 grain Round Nose to the neck from about 125 yards, and the buffalo dropped instantly.

Last edited by szihn; 10/22/20.