So to get this train back on the tracks the question asked really focused on the difference, if any, between the 06 and 300 at the time the latter was introduced. After going through this exercise I'm inclined to think that Savage may have been closer to it's claim than history gives it credit. Anyone know what powders were used in their early configurations? Seems to me deerstalker said 3031 comes close to the burn rate of the early 06 round. If I was actively reloading and going to the range at the moment I would find modern powders that came close to the originals and load up some 150-grain pills in both and go see what happens. Obviously this experiment would not exactly replicate the performance of the original rounds but I think it would suffice good enough to draw reasonable conclusions. And yes, velocities could be taken at the muzzle and 78-feet to satisfy the concerns of all. And again, I put this question up as a simple topic of discussion and not as an argument or a contest in spelling.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"