Originally Posted by S99VG
Not looking for what a hand loader could push the rounds to, but instead what the factory ammo did to substantiate its claim to being an equal to the 06 at the time the 300 was introduced. And with the above information I'm inclined to say that maybe Savage's claim to the 300 being the same as the 06 in factory loads was not too far off base. And most likely was close enough for most shooters to have probably not given it a second thought. So was Savage's claim market hyperbole or fact. Right now I'm thinking it leaned more to the latter than the former.

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

When I bought my 1st 300 sav I was able to load 150's & 4064 to well over 2700 in my 110 wle model, I sure as hell would not run that ammo in my 99. While a guy can run the pressures up a bit in a bolt gun the case is not designed heavy enough for extra pressure from what I have seen. If a guy wants to hot rod his 99 use one in 308 then it's the guns limit you need to be mindful of. Just my thoughts. MB

S99VG- - that's what I assumed you were referring to, ie Savage's claim of equalizing the 300 to the 06. As previously pointed out, they didn't have the technology we have today to really measure and determine the accuracy we have today, besides, they were out to sell rifles and what better way than to equate it to the 30/06. Just tossed in my reloading I've done so far and some of what is known about reloading the 300. Loads of the day probably were close to the 06 or as near as they could make it and/or get away with claiming. Calhoun's last post with the old Newspaper article was interesting.

Magnumn Bob- -I don't hot rod my 300 Savage loads, the rifles I advised I have that are chambered in it are no longer made and need to be treated with a bit of TLC-parts aren't everyday go to Brownell's and order either. In fact, none of my loadings near maximum, the most I get are in the middle or maybe barely making it near the 2/3 grains in published load manual. In fact alot of of shooting is with cast bullets, way down in the pressure scale. Just fun shooters. Even my so-called modern guns, none are hot rodded. Paid my dues years ago with that on hand held howitzer .357 Mag loads back in the 70's/early 80's, reload some healthy loads at times, but nothing that when ya pull the trigger ya regret your endeavor.

Just think of what the 99 could have been if after Savage introduced the 300 Savage and a bit later evolutionized it and created what the .308 Winchester is today. Probably be called the 308 Savage. The whole story of the M1 Garand may have been different, military firearms/ammo a whole lot different. The 300 Savage may have died a sure death back in the late 20's/early 30's, firearms history and hunting would have a different history and story. Can't recall, did Savage change the magazine dimensions when they did chamber the 99 in .308-seems to me I may have read that or my mind is fantasizing.