The ability to mute Trump's microphone to shut him up while the adults were talking definitely helped make the debate more watchable. Welker did a good job.

However, all the debate moderators did kind of a public disservice in failing to hold Trump to account for his long history as a sex offender and his various other crimes. Trump has done hundreds of things that would end the career of any other politician, Democrat or Republican, and people seem to eventually let them slide just because it's too hard to keep track of them all. Hell, it's too much work to even keep track of all the felonies he and his closest associates have committed. He's had three times more close associates (his personal lawyer, multiple campaign managers, etc) go to prison than Nixon ever did. He's blatantly committed felony campaign finance violations (for which his henchman already did time) and felony obstruction of justice, for which he was rightfully impeached but then protected by his accomplices in the Senate who don't care what laws he breaks. Those would all be show-stoppers for any other President, but people can't even really keep up with all that when Trump's currently busy screwing up the response to the coronavirus so badly that the richest and most technologically advanced country in the world has still had over 130,000 more deaths than we would have had with even an AVERAGE response to the crisis. Osama bin Laden is rolling over in his grave with jealousy at how badly Trump has damaged America.

All the debate moderators are stuck in this weird pattern of treating Trump as if he's some kind of normal candidate, not a creature of pure cluelessness and incompetence with an IQ lower than some horses I've known (and I don't think too highly of horses). They ask him about his plan for something like health care, knowing full well that he doesn't have anything even resembling a plan and his entire act is to just say, "I have the best plan, everyone says so, it's going to be so magnificent you won't even believe it," and so on with the bullshit to distract from the fact that he literally doesn't have any plan at all. The world hasn't seen such a firehose of lies since Baghdad Bob. I should have been obvious to every single voter that a moronic con man from tabloid television belongs nowhere near the presidency, but somehow a lot of people were stupid enough to fall for his act. I still don't get how anyone can be that gullible.