I would stay away from anything made in chiner, if at all possible. I have had far too many chinese made products fail and I have no confidence in virtually anything that's MIC (including tools).

My recommendation is to first make a list of everything you need. Then start looking for good used Made in America tools on flea-bay, at garage sales and at flea markets. Flea-bay should suffice for the majority of your needs. The pre- assembled tool kits often have crap products, a bunch of stuff you don't need and are lacking in other items you do need. Tools found in these kits are often of lower quality - ergonomics, durability and country of origin are important considerations. Perusing flea-bay will allow you to get exactly what you want and you can be assured that the tools you choose are made in America. I have assembled several tool chests/boxes this way. Yeah, it takes longer, but I'd rather have good quality tools that I choose than a bunch of crap that's barely useful.

Some tool brands I have had good luck with:

SK
Proto
old Stanley
Reed
NAPA/Carlyle (USA)
Blackhawk
Some American made Lisle tools
MAC
Snap-on
made in America Craftsman tools
Williams
Thorsen
Bonney
Matco
Wright

Electric tools are a different matter, but you usually can't go wrong with Milwaukee or Makita.

Nothing wrong with purchasing stuff like shop knives, hacksaws, blades and certain abrasives at Lowes, though.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/26/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue