Half a lifetime ago I made a large chunck of my living shooting fur.
The 2 "money guns" used for cats that were the best for getting the highest prices for my furs were a 22 LR with 40 grain HV H.P ammo and one that may surprise most of the readers. A 375H&H with 300 grain solids. (No I am not kidding)

For coyotes I found the 222 Remington was about the best over all and it did give exits, but with 50 grain WW power points the exits were usually only the size of a nickel. For cats I wanted NO exit or one even smaller then a got from my 222. So for cats I liked the 22 LR and the 375 because the average then was $600 for a good cat. At $600, I didn't want to do any more damage then absolutely necessary. The 22 LR would not exit most times and when it did the holes were very small. The 375 would exit no matter what........but the holes were quite small. Way smaller then you might guess. So for shots past 150 yards I'd use the big rifle, but the closer shots were the ones I got most, and they were nearly all taken with either a Ruger M77/22 or an old Winchester M62A.