Followed one trail way the hell back till it fizzled into a game trail, & found this spot that looked promising, even had cat tracks on the ice. High hopes drifted away with the light......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the view just to my right where I was sitting:

Got a couple more inches of snow one night, which covered any old tracks:

The lone highlight of the trip was on this set:

I had set the Foxpro out about 40 yards, got set up and turned it loose. I had been there for 24 minutes, and when I glanced to my right, a coyote was standing there, staring at the Foxpro. Shlt....now what? Shoot him & screw up the set, or sit tight and enjoy the show? Flock that....bird in the hand......

He moved a few yards closer, and when he went behind a tree, I moved the tripod. He then made it to the the edge of the "trail", and decided he didn't like the situation, and started to leave. I let out a little whistle, he stopped broadside, I held just behind the shoulder, and touched it off....BOOM! He took off like a raped ape and outta sight.....

I gave him a few minutes, and got on his exit tracks. Only a few little specks of blood here & there that you would never see w/o the snow. He made it 60-70 yards, and I found him piled up. A little blood had dribbled out of the entrance hole, and there was no exit. Shot was maybe 30 yards. We'll never know if my reduced load would have been fur friendly on a cat, but it maybe shows a little promise based on this one example.