Originally Posted by IceKing02
Yes, I get it, the prices are quite prohibitive for many folks. Not sure that the guides would have a business if they weren't able to get people to pay these prices. I suspect that logistical costs are the bulk of their charges. My personal experience with a half dozen, maybe more guides, up here is that only a couple are charging greater prices and living large(r). Most are charging what the market will bear and just getting by each year. If you would like to know the true costs of hunting in Alaska then I'd bet that 2021-2 will determine the actual costs. Hard times will clean out the ones who were operating on the edge of profitability. Many were hit hard by our lockdowns if they didn't have a side-job to see them through the tough times.

I'd encourage you to come to Alaska to experience the sheer size and wild beauty of the Great Land. It is MASSIVE. It is inaccessible without a plane, boat, sled, ATV, or dog team. You'll never even see the least amount of this place--no matter if you live a thousand lives. Pick a place that strikes your fancy and let your guide open up a little corner of Alaska to show you something magical. You will NOT regret your time spent here...even if you end up suffering poor weather and an empty pack. It is a radically different beast to tackle. That is why we continue to challenge ourselves and people continue to spend their hard-earned dollars on high-end adventures. I hope that you find a way to make it happen for you, too.

Should you desire a top-flight experience for many species of animals I know only a couple of guides/transporters personally whose services I recommend without hesitation. Good people, good areas to hunt and professional coordination of services. And, as I like to joke with people about Alaska, "You don't need to create any drama up here. It will be provided to you free of charge!"

Cheers

IceKing is absolutely correct. And I like his comment about drama. Every time I have received offers to star on some "reality" TV show I tell them that while drama may sell TV shows, it doesn't sell hunts !

And the fact that distances, terrain, weather and logistics are formidable in Alaska, so are expenses in rural parts of the state where the game is found. $7/gal gas, $11/gallon milk, $3.50/lb potatoes and onions, propane $50 for a small 20# bottle and all that before the $700/hr charter flight to get it to hunting camp !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.