Originally Posted by GunGeek
So what is a "kit gun" to you?

I know the classic definition, but these days I see people talk about .357 & .44 "kit guns". Makes me wonder, what is the role people assign to their "kit guns"?

To me they are just any lighter weight, relatively accurate handgun chambered for a round useful for the hoped for purpose. They are a secondary use item to me. That is to say they are not my main reason for being out there.

I may carry it on my person or in my pack depending.

For general use, I prefer revolvers, generally with 4" barrels. For more limited roles, semi auto pistols get the nod.

My most carried are a S&W 651 4" and a Taurus Ti .357 magnum. I carry the 651 when grouse are around, I have shot cartridges, HP's and solids with me. It gets varmint and pest duty and is often with me when hunting with a long gun. The .357 Mag is carried when I don't have a long gun with me and want a little more power. Most of the time when I am just bumming around or packing meat. I carry solids HP and shot with me. These both weigh right at 28 ounces and aren't much trouble.

When I am focused more on hunting with a rimfire I usually use my 22/45 ul with a scope or mini red dot. I always wanted a 6 inch Woodsman or High Standard but never found one for a price I liked.

When I am focused primarily on defense I carry a Glock. Usually a 26 or 19 with loads appropriate to the intended use. The autoloaders Are similar in weight to the revolvers.

They weigh close to 28 oz loaded, much more and I find reasons not to pack it.