I regularly carry the Rossi Models 511, 515, 518, 720, or 971 depending on what I'm doing and/or where I'm going.

I mostly carry the 518, .22 MAG, or 720, .44 Special. Having 3 hard cast 240 grain SWCs and 2 CCI snakeshot cartridges in a compact stainless revolver gives me a little peace of mind. Not long ago these handgun could regularly be purchased for under $300, but prices have risen for reason that aren't clear to me.

The S&W Modesl 422, 622, 2206 with 4.5" barrels could be used as kit guns if you weren't going to use snakeshot. I have found that for me, .22 LR snake shoe isn't as effective as. 22 MAG and that neither are as effective as the .38/357 and .44 varieties.

I have only encountered one instance when I needed the kit gun for self-protection, when I encountered a couple of guys while I was fishing in an out of the way place who may have been smoking meth and made aggressive overtures until I unholstered the 720 and showed them that further aggression might be hazardous to their health. Carrying one of those revolvers has become second nature and although not perfect, they are capable of doing whatever most people need doing.