I'm reminded of a personal anecdote, re: 8x57 factory loads versus whitetail deer.

Back in a galaxy long ago and far away I snagged a delightful little Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine chambered for 8x57, right before that year's deer season. There was no time to buy dies/bullets and work up The Load, and I really wanted to trot into the deer woods with it so I scrounged up some truly ancient factory loads. (My Old Man came through with some stuff he had from the post-WWII era when he had messed with an 8mm milsurp.) I only recall that they were Peters brand and had big blunt nosed bullets with a lot of lead exposed. A couple shots to confirm the zero of the cocking knob peep sight and into the woods I went with it a couple days later. The Buck of the Century stumbled in front of me, or the other way around, and I whacked it. (Ok, maybe not the Buck of the Century, but a tasty little forkhorn nonetheless). 50 yards or so (who remembers details like that from 30 years ago?), and he flipped right over and died. Velocity from those old heavy bulleted factory loads out of that short barrel would've been on the order of a .30-30 probably, but it sure killed pretty spectacularly.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty