Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by DBT
Are hammocks any good for side sleepers? I imagine they'd be backbreaking.

I'm a side sleeper.

If you set them up wrong it can be. Most people set them up too tight and lie in them like a banana. There's lots of videos and a forum on how to get everything just right.
For instance, you lie with your head to one side diagonally to get a flat lay. The tension, length and width of the hammock has to be right for each individual. Once those are dialed in, I ve not found a more comfortable sleep.

I tried. For YEARS I tried to camp with a hammock. Several different ones. Just kept getting worse and worse. Finally, I decided to just quit, and I will never even think about getting in another hammock again. Oh, they're comfortable for "lounging".. but for me, uncomfortable, and downright painful for sleeping...or should I say, trying to sleep. NOT good for sleeping on my side. They scrunch my shoulders, and press down on the top of my head. No matter what I do. A "flat lay" is impossible for me (yes).

Of course, If I mention this to a hammock true believer, they are sure I'm just doing something wrong, and if only I try this other hammock, or that other hammock, and spend hundreds more dollars, that eventually I MUST find nocturnal bliss like they do.... They proselytize hammocking with a religious zeal, and cannot comprehend that it just doesn't work for everyone.

By all means, try one. It may work for you, but it may not.

I finally got a lightweight camping/hiking cot. Not nearly as light as a hammock, of course (it's about 4 1/2 pounds), but I can sleep on that sucker! SOOOOO much better. You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me get in a hammock again.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant!