I figure this is the best place to put this, since the gourmands hang out here.

We don’t often eat out, usually 2 or 3 times a month. Slavyanka and I both enjoy cooking but when Covid hit we stepped things up a notch and started cooking more challenging dishes. Much of it was because friends of ours became our “bubble” and, eating at each other’s place 2-3 times a week, it became a bit of a contest to see who could WOW the others with our food. This couple used to go out 5 times a week and Covid put a real crimp in that.

But once restaurants opened up again, we started going out like normal. And we’ve noticed that the food just doesn’t seem to have the same quality.

I know many restaurants have scaled back their menus but even the stuff they offer doesn’t measure up. Beyond that, though, the ingredients just don’t seem to be as good. I know the other couple doesn’t go out near as much as they used to and the husband has commented on how much money they save (they aren’t hurting for $$) and he says he just doesn’t enjoy the food as much as before.

I heard a report that food prices will rise 10% because of Covid. This will hit restaurants hard when they’re already dealing with reduced seating. If they go to even poorer quality food to save money, I don’t see how they can survive.