Originally Posted by Elvis
G'Day,

John B. Have you played with one of these? Anybody got one of these in a hunting rifle? What rifle have you got or what did you build yours on? It's just a bit smaller than the 6.5 CM but has a small rifle primer. I'd imagine a 120gn Ballistic Tip at 2800fps would make a nice deer round. Cooper seems to be the only hunting rifle I can find at the moment. But a 22 inch barrel in a Rem Model 7 or Winchester Compact Featherweight would be a nice little outfit.

I had a couple for a couple of years and really liked them. I think in most regards it’s a better fit for a short action mag box than the 6.5 Creedmoor, but there’s a couple of things that ultimately made me choose the Creedmoor instead.

6.5x47 brass is only available for small rifle primers. There have been a couple of accounts by people I trust of no-fires or hang fires in extremely cold weather.

6.5x47 Factory ammo is not widely available and if you find it, it is very expensive. I shoot my hand loads almost exclusively, but in the event my baggage with my ammo in it doesn’t show up, I want to be able to walk into a place and buy ammo over the counter.

Finally, I have found my 6.5 Creedmoors shoot every bit as precisely as my 6.5x47s did.

I do think the 6.5x47 is a better fit with VLD type bullets in a short action magazine and ballistics are indistinguishable from the Creedmoor but ended up going with the Creedmoor for the reasons above.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14