Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've known for a few weeks my dog had cancer, but when he wasn't struggling with it, he acted just fine. It was prostate cancer and he was in pain when he defecated. We gave him pain pills, but he'd cry out when he squatted. But when he was done he was the same old dog. But he kept getting worse. Saturday morning he seemed to be hurting more. Yesterday he quit eating, and he didn't eat today. We called the vet and set up the time. It was so hard. I hate to say this but it was harder to let him go then when my mother passed in January. We had this dog just less than 10 years, you couldn't ask for a better dog. He slept on his own bed right next to me. My wife had really grown attached to him. First time for her to do that. They let us both in there, while he gave the shot. No way was I going to let him go through that by himself. It was still tough, for him and for us. His whole life was about being around us. He was really family.

Been through this and it was awful. Didnt want anothet dog after it. But we got another golden and eventually healed. These animals quickly become a true family member. Hurts like hell to lose them