I started turkey hunting back when they asked "you're hunting what?!" and couldn't believe I'd waste my time doing it! That's a long, long time ago, almost 50 years now. I still really enjoy it. Best advise I can give you is know what your shotgun can do and what you can do with it. Learn to tell yardage and take high percentage shots. Be slow to move if one's near, a turkey's eyesight, and hearing, is incredible. You don't need to be an expert caller, practice simple yelps and learn the cadence of a turkey call. Most times, it's the quiet calls that bring the Tom in. Scratch leaves to sound like a turkey scrounging around, using soft putts and whines. Back when I started, there were no websites for info. I went to hunting expos and I found a biologist's cassette recordings of turkeys out in the woods and listened, over and over, to how real turkeys responded to crows, owls and hawks. And how they communicate with each other. Turkey calling doesn't just call in turkeys, I've had many encounters with predators looking for a turkey dinner too. Just some quick pointers that are my opinion and what's worked for me over the years. But the biggest thing, enjoy it and your time in the woods with your son!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member