The 2020 caribou hunt turned out to be a bit of an adventure with my brother. We hiked up into the alpine and set up the Black Diamond MegaLite in a high saddle (.....ie: wind tunnel). That night at 2:30am I woke to the tent flapping on my face. The two down-wind corner pegs (8" Y-stakes) had pulled out and the shelter was falling. I grabbed the centre pole and told my brother we had to get up. With headlamps on we found rocks to stack on top of the pegs. Next morning I was enjoying our commanding view of the valley, which is why we set up there. I was sipping coffee and glassing long with the spotter leaving my brother to glass the close country. Before he even got his binos up he hissed "caribou right here below us! Bring your spotter!". we weaved our way about 150 yards around a few knobs and there were the 5 caribou ~300 yards off. I put up the spotter and none were legal. We glanced around and didn't see any others. Made our way back to the shelter and just before I sat back down I spotted 8 more caribou high on the ridge above camp. They were 700-800 yards off and feeding away. One bull in the group was legal! In a frenzy I zipped shut my Bora bivi to seal up my sleep system, stuffed some snacks, water, spotter & rain gear into my pack and grabbed my rifle. As the caribou were feeding away from us we poured the coal to'er and booked it up to the saddle, they were just crossing the ridge above us at 300 yards. I had the legal bull in the spotter for 3 steps - then he vanished over the ridge. We kept wrapping around the backside of the saddle and after another 600 yards we had closed the gap to 485yards and were out of cover so set up for the shot. The legal bull kept feeding straight away, but after about 5 minutes turned broadside. My brother fired a 7mm 120TTSX and the bull humped up. He staggered facing away, then turned broadside again - boom! The second shot hit 7-8" in front of the first hitting the bull in the neck and sent him for a short tumble down the hill. More to follow....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."