Next we skinned and quartered the animal. We packed the meat uphill back to the top of the saddle and stashed it alongside a snow patch. We covered the gamebags with an emergency blanket to keep the cold in and the rain off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We made our way back down to the tent. The wind was holing thru the pass. The tent was laying flat, the downwind rope tie-outs had frayed against the rocks we piled on them. Upon close inspection my sleep system (bivi, quilt, & klymit pad) were gone! Also my crocs were gone. I normally throw a rock on my sleep system to hold in in place, but in the frantic exit that morning I had forgotten. I was dreading spending the night in my puffy pants and down coat. While packing up our stuff the wind blew my brothers pack and it started barrel rolling across the mountain. At 50 and 75 yards below our camp site I found my crocs. Fortunately 300 yards down the hill my brother found my bivi in a creek. It had about 30lbs of water in the bottom of it holding it in place. My quilt only got wet by the footbox as the pad was mostly floating it above the water. We dropped down into the scrubby balsams to re-pitch the mid where there was some protection from the wind.

The next morning we hiked back up the ridge to retrieve the meat. About 200 yards from the snow patch we spotted grizzly making his way up the ridge away from the meat. He huffed at us a couple times then bailed over the ridge out of site. We continued up to the meat fearing he had found it and got into it. To our surprise his track crossed the snow patch downwind, and downhill by only 63 yards. We hiked up to the top of the saddle and glassed a wolverine on the gut pile. We loaded up 1/2 the meat and hiked back down to the main camp where a tent and ti wood stove awaited. We feasted on fresh caribou fried in olive oil and steak spice.

Here are a couple nanny's we saw the first few days:

To be continued....
Quote Reply

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."